Village of Caledonia 5043 Chester Lane, Caledonia, WI 53402

Frequently Asked Questions

Yard Waste Drop-Off Site is Open

The Yard Waste Drop-Off Site typically opens the last Wednesday in March and closes the last Sunday in November. 

Please note that only the following items will be accepted:

  • Grass Clippings
  • Brush/Branches - maximum 20" diameter and 6' long
  • Leaves

NO CONTRACTORS!  Must be a Village resident, picture ID is required.

6900 Nicholson Road (west of the Safety Building)

HOURS OF OPERATION: (Keep in mind that during fall hours the site closes at dusk)
Wednesday:  1:30pm-7:00pm
Saturday:  10:00am-4:00pm
Sunday:  11:00am-5:00pm



Complaints Regarding Neighboring Properties

Many area residents do a good job of keeping up the appearance of their homes and properties.  Property owners are strongly urged to maintain their buildings, lawns and exterior areas regularly and diligently. Residents should consider how the lack of proper maintenance affects not only their neighbor's property value, but theirs as well.  If something your neighbor does is bothering you, remember that you'll probably be neighbors for a long time. Resolving the problem amicably may be more important than getting your way completely, because neighborhood feuds are no fun (see: the Hatfields and McCoys).

The problem you face may be addressed below in our Municipal Code of Ordinances, please review and use the contact information below. It is important to realize that if the issue is not listed in the Ordinances then the Municipality has no jurisdiction. Please understand that the Village of Caledonia can only control so much on private property.

TITLE 8 - Community Welfare, Refuse and Sanitation
Title8/Ch1: Residential Uses and Discharges Affecting Community Health 
Title8/Ch2: Pollution Abatement 
Title8/Ch3: Refuse Disposal 
Title8/Ch4: Holding Tanks

TITLE 11 - Offenses and Nuisances
Title11/Ch6: Public Nuisances

TITLE 17 - Public Health
Title17/Ch1: Health and Sanitation

  • If the problem is a Public Health concern please contact the Health Department: (262) 898-4460 
  • If the problem is a lawn concern please contact the Weed Commissioner: (262) 835-6458 
  • If the problem is a Public Nuisance please contact the Non-Emergency Police: (262) 886-2300 
  • For all other inquiries please call the main number: (262) 835-4451

Open Burning/Recreational Fire Approval

Same day approval is possible for Open Burning if weather permits. Call the Caledonia Fire Department burning permit line (835-4357) for approval. Recreational, ceremonial and cooking fires have no time limit and do not need approval, depending on weather conditions.

After Hours Utility Emergency

If you have a fire, medical or law enforcement emergency, please dial 911. To report a utility emergency, such as no water, a broken water main, a sewer overflow, blockage complaint, or if your problem requires immediate attention, please call: (262) 939-3409

Firearms Ordinance

For information regarding use and discharge of arms regulated, please click here, and scroll down to section 11-2-1.

Please click here for the official map showing locations where the use of certain Firearms is prohibited.

When Are Property Tax Payments Due?

  • The first installment is due January 31 of each year, payable to the Village of Caledonia
  • The second installment is due July 31 of each year, payable to the Racine County Treasurer

There is a 5 business day grace period for tax payments. Payments must be recieved in office by the last day of the grace period to be considered timely, regardless of postmark date. After that date, payments are ONLY accepted at the Racine County Treasurer's office, located at the Courthouse in downtown Racine.

Racine County Tax Inquiry or to change your mailing address:

Do You Have a Fee Schedule? 

Yes, click here for the Fee Schedule

What Can I Do With My Scrap Metal?

Miller Compressing accepts and pays for scrap metal, there are two locations in Racine:

  • Non-ferrous materials such as aluminum, copper, brass, stainless steel, catalytic converters, and vehicle batteries can be brought to 3056 Hamilton Avenue. If you have questions you may call (262) 637-2900.
  • Ferrous materials such as large appliances, water heaters, and miscellaneous scrap steel can be brought to 1339 17th Street. If you have any questions you may call (262) 632-1601.

Where Can I Take My Unwanted Electronics?


Residents are allowed to use one of their four Special Pickups to have one electronic item collected.
*Once a resident uses up their one electronic collection, they will need to pay for any additional electronics collections.*
Additional electronic collections are $60.
If a resident is paying for multiple electronics at one time additional TV's over 32 inches are an additional $60 each. Additional TV's under 32 inches are $20 each.

Johns Disposal is a registered collector of electronics for the state of Wisconsin. Johns would be happy to collect your electronics for a fee. Please call John's Disposal to arrange pick up (262) 473-4700; (888) 473-4701

Electronic Items Include:

  • Desktop computers, laptops
  • Printers, scanners, copiers
  • Video display devices, monitors, televisions
  • Keyboards, mice, hard drives, flash drives, external modems & other computer devices
  • Fax machines
  • DVD, VCR, DVR & Video

Does the Village Provide an Animal Control Service?

Unfortunately, the Village does not provide such a service. There are several private companies in the area that may be able to assist your needs. If you have immediate concerns for the wildlife in your area, you may contact the DNR at 262-884-2300.

Local providers that may be able to assist you:

Can I Have Livestock on My Property?

'Livestock' means cattle, equine, swine, sheep, goats, farm-raised deer and other such animals susceptible to use for commercial purposes, including domesticated fowl, such as chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, guineas or other poultry. There are minimum parcels sizes in which you can have livestock. If your parcel is zoned agricultural, you may start having livestock at 2 acres and 5 acres for Residential. Call the Village Hall at 262-835-4451 to inquire about how many units of livestock you may have on your parcel. This number is dependant in the total number of acres.

Testing for Radon

Short-Term Testing:
The quickest way to test is with a short-term test. Short-term tests remain in your home for two days to 90 days, depending on the device. Because radon levels tend to vary from day to day and season to season, a short-term test is less likely to tell you your year-round average radon level. If you need results quickly, a short-term test followed by a second short-term test may be used to decide whether to fix your home.

Long-Term Testing:
Long-term tests remain in your home for more than 90 days. A long-term test will give you a reading that is more likely to tell you your home's year-round average radon level.

Test Kits:
The Racine County Public Health Division has short-term and long-term radon test kits available for purchase

  • Short-Term Radon Test - $10.00
  • Long-Term Radon Test - $20.00

9531 Rayne Rd., Suite V
Sturtevant, WI, 53177
Phone: (262) 898-4460

Monday through Friday:
8 A.M to 4:30 P.M

Kits are also available at some hardware stores and other retail outlets.

What Day is My Garbage Collected?

Garbage is collected once per week. Recycling is collected every other week.

Garbage Carts

Can I request an additional garbage cart? 
Each resident will be provided with a 90 gallon garbage cart, if you need an additional cart call John's Disposal at (888) 473-4701.

Can I request a smaller garbage cart? 
Smaller carts are available, call John's Disposal at (888) 473-4701.

I'm unable to bring my garbage cart to the curb, is there an assistance program available? 
The Village of Caledonia does offer a hardship program. You need a doctor to sign off on the application. Click here for the Hardship Application.

How Do I Dispose of Large Items That Won't Fit in My Garbage Cart? 

John's Disposal offers 4 free pick ups per year. To schedule a pick up call John's Disposal at (888) 473-4701. If you need additional pickups the standard rate for a special pick up is $40.00 per 5 minutes of loading time.

Click here to find out what and how to dispose of Items.

When is Trick-or-Treating

Trick-or-Treating is held annually on Halloween (10/31) from 5:30PM - 7:30PM

Street Light Outage?

Click here to report